How Much Is An Ear Thermometer And Its Different Types
The invention of thermometers has revolutionized how quickly and how accurately we can assess the health of people around us. When professional medical help is not available during the immediate moment, it pays to have an ear thermometer on hand. An ear thermometer is a helpful thing to have in a first aid kit, especially for adults on the go and for families with children. There are different types of thermometer in the market, but in this article, we will give special attention to ear thermometers and the benefits of having one. We will also look at how much is ear thermometer, and how it differs from other types of thermometers.
The Different Types Of Thermometers
There are different types and brands of thermometer that you can buy. They vary according to their use as well as accuracy in measuring body temperature. Listed below are the different types of thermometer and their estimated accuracy:
- Ear thermometers
An ear thermometer is an effective way of checking the temperature. The reading may differ up to 1 degree depending on how clear the ear canal is from excess earwax. Whether it was accurately placed in the ear can also affect its accuracy. An ear thermometer CANNOT be used on children six months and below.
- Digital thermometers
Digital thermometers are reasonably accurate and can be used on people of all ages. It can be done under the arm, in the mouth, and through the rectum.
- Forehead strips
Forehead strips are usually ideal for infant use. Infants might find any other method uncomfortable, and their discomfort will affect the reading accuracy. The only downside of forehead strips is that it isn’t too accurate. It is estimated at a 35-50% accuracy. In this case, forehead strips should be coupled with a good amount of intuition.
- Forehead thermometers
The forehead thermometer reads the temperature at the temporal artery, which is located at the center of the head. It is extremely accurate and can be used on people of all ages.
Ear Thermometer: Benefits, How-to’s and Price Range
If you are considering owning an ear thermometer, you should know the basic knowledge about this device. You should also have an idea of how to use it. Finally, you should know how much is ear thermometer so you can prepare a budget before buying one.
Digital infrared ear thermometers are a useful way to read and keep track of fever. However, it usually takes up to a minute to get a reading with an ear thermometer. Ear thermometers are precise when it is placed the right way and in the right conditions.
Here are some things that you need to keep in mind when using an ear thermometer:
Make sure there is no excess earwax before using the ear thermometer. Earwax can prevent an accurate reading and will defeat the purpose of your thermometer. Children with an ear infection cannot use an ear thermometer.
An ear thermometer can be an invasive way of reading temperature. It has to be positioned well in the ear canal and could be bothersome to children below three years old. Careful care must be done when handling an ear thermometer.
How To Operate An Ear Thermometer
- Prepare the ears. Clean the ears thoroughly so you can get an accurate reading. The patient has to be at rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Sanitize the tip of the ear thermometer. You can use alcohol packets or dip a cotton ball in isopropyl alcohol. Some models come with disposable ear tips as well.
- Pull back the ear gently and position the ear thermometer in the ear canal as straight as possible. This will keep the patient from feeling uncomfortable and will give you an accurate reading.
- Wait for the infrared light to flash. Some models will require you to keep it in place while a light flashes. Take note of the instructions that come with the ear thermometer model.
- Take note of the variations in the temperature. Some models do not come with a memory feature, which may require you to take note of it physically.
- Observe the patient. You must know when the temperature reading is alarming enough to merit a visit to the doctor.
- Clean the thermometer for the next use.
Ear Thermometer Price Range: How Much Is Ear Thermometer
There are several ear thermometers available on the market that should suit your budget. The price varies according to the brand and the features that it has. Some thermometers have features that are designed for the comfort infants.
- 2-in-1 ear and forehead thermometers offer ease and accuracy when getting your little one’s body temperature. Ear thermometers like these could cost more than $60.00 and could reach close to $100.00
- Smart ear thermometers that only require 1 second to read the temperature can cost between $30.00 to $40.00
- Thermometers with the basic features cost around $20.00 to $30.00.
There are some features in modern ear thermometers worth purchasing. Ear thermometers that are more child friendly is a good investment. Some ear thermometers come with age precision features that take into account the age of your child. Some models also come with a warm tip so that results are more reliable. Some models are so safe it can be used on infants. If you’re wondering how much is ear thermometer when the cost is not a concern, it is best to budget around $60.00 above for a premium model.
An ear thermometer can be a handy piece of item in the household. Thanks to modern technology, we can now readily measure the temperature of anyone who needs a temperature reading. It is a practical way of assessing health concerns within the family. There are a lot of ear thermometers in the market, and it is best to prepare by knowing how much is ear thermometer. Find one that suits your budget and your needs and invest in this must-have medical piece for your home.
April 15, 2020
by: Adam Lochner
Is your little bundle of joy feeling under the weather? Experts say that most babies get colds up to seven times in their first year.
October 10, 2020
by: Wilber Herron
When you’re feeling a little bit under the weather, the first thing you’d most probably do is to reach for a thermometer.