How To Fold Blankets To Save Space
It’s getting colder outside! And you know what that means. It’s time to haul out all blankets! During colder days, it can be a bit of a pickle to organize things, especially those large ones in the closet. We always look for ways to utilize our space more efficiently without having to get rid of stuff, and folding is the number one way to save some. The more efficient way you fold up a blanket makes organizing ever so easy. Here are 3 genius ways on how to fold blankets to save space and address the overflowing, limited space you have in your home.
Folding Blankets for Storage
You can easily fold your blankets either for storage or for decoration. If you want to store your sheets, you can fold them in half several times to make them smaller. Here's how you can fold your blanket for storage.
- Unfold the blanket entirely and lay it flat on the floor or any flat surface. To make it easier, fold your blanket and lay it out flat. Hold the shorter edge of the sheet with your hands and stretch it out flat across your floor. This way, you can reach each corner easily as you make your fold.
- Fold the blanket into half. Hold the corners of the sheet, and bring them to the opposite side to make your first fold. Fold it in half lengthwise if your blanket is rectangular.
- Smooth out any wrinkles or folds with your hands. To remove any creases, folds, or lines, run your hands over the top of the blanket, starting from the middle outward as you fold. Your sheet blanket will lay neat and flat as longs as there are no wrinkles.
- Fold the blanket crosswise in half. Create your fold by grabbing the shorter side of the sheet and bringing it over to the opposite side. Smooth out any wrinkles or creases after you make your second fold.
- You can now store your blanket as is or continue to fold it in half to make it smaller. Just keep on folding if you want your sheet to be folded up smaller for storage. Remember that if you fold blankets too many times, it may get bulky and not be able to stay folded.
Displaying a Throw Blanket
- If you want an orderly display, fold the throw blanket in thirds. To neatly fold your throw blanket, bring one side to the center. Fold the other side on top to create a neat, attractive throw blanket display either for your bed or sofa. You can also hold both corners with your hands and shake out the blanket, so it lays flat.
- If you want more of the blanket to be displayed, fold the throw in half once. Hold the corners on one side and bring them to the opposite side. Fold it lengthwise in half if you're folding a rectangular blanket. Place the sheet at the bottom of the bed or over the back of the couch.
- Lay your blanket over your chair, couch, or bed. After you have folded the sheet in half or thirds, hold the edges, so the folds stay in place. Gently lay it over top of your furniture. You can put your throw blanket anywhere you'd like. May it be across the back of your couch or the foot of your bed. You can flip your sheet over your sofa, or you can just lay it flat at the bottom of your bed to create a runner. Also, you can drape your folded blanket over the back of a chair.
- To smooth out any creases or wrinkles, run your hands over the blanket. Smooth out the surface of the sheet, your hands, so it stays flat. Your throw blanket may not look neat and attractive if there are any wrinkles. Throw blankets add warmth and coziness to any room!
Roll Up Your Blanket
- Lay your blanket flat on the ground. Hold two corners of your blanket, and shake it out, so the sheet opens up. Drop the blanket to the ground to straighten out any uneven edges. This will help you to fold your blanket without any creases or wrinkles quickly.
- Tuck about one foot (0.30 m) of your sheet underneath the rest. Pinch your blanket at the center about 1 ft (0.30 m) from the shorter edge, and lift the fabric. Tuck the side of the sheet underneath the rest, starting from where you pinched it. A pocket that secures your blanket after you roll it up will be created.
- Fold your blanket into three sections equally. Divide your blanket into thirds after you've created your pocket. Bring one edge to the middle, and lay the other hand on top. This folds your blanket into three equal sections, which makes it easy to roll up your blanket neatly.
- Lay about 1 foot of your blanket on top of the rest. Flip about 1 foot (0.30 m) of the sheet from the edge closest to you onto the rest of the coverage to help you roll the edge neatly. It doesn't have to be an exact though. This fold will help you roll the blanket tightly and attractively.
- Tightly roll your blanket, starting from the side, you just folded on top. Pinch the edge of your blanket and stack the end on top of the rest of the blanket. Roll your sheet as tightly as you can. Use your hands as a guide in keeping the blanket secured as you roll it. You can unroll your blanket to try again if you are having trouble keeping your sheet rolled tightly. It is necessary to turn the blanket tightly.
- Secure the blanket with your hands for it to stay tight. Don't let go! Keep your hands on the sheet, so your blanket does not unroll. You can also rest your knee on top of the rolled blanket if you need extra assistance.
- Fold the pocket over the blanket to keep it neatly rolled up. Peel back the corner of your pocket layer and tuck it around the rest of your bedding. With just a little force, your sheet will easily slip inside the pocket. Be careful when doing this, so your blanket won't unravel. Your blanket is secured! You either store it in your closet or pack it for your next trip.
Organizing and decluttering can be a multi-million, if not a billion-dollar industry, because we always try to look for the best ways to live with lots of stuff. The smaller and more compact way you fold up things will give you those precious inches and better visibility of what you are looking for when you open the drawer. A compact blanket is a necessity for outdoor survival gear.
We hope that these tips on how to fold blankets to save space will come in handy as you go through organizing and decluttering your stuff at home. Happy folding! Know more about survival blankets.
April 2, 2021
by: Wilber Herron
When you’re out on a chilly evening, all the heat you can get helps. Even during camping, it is essential to feel snug and comfortable while getting a good night’s sleep.
April 5, 2021
by: Joan Allen
Every survivalist should own an emergency survival blanket or two. It is essential when preparing for an emergency.
April 7, 2021
by: Adam Lochner
Every emergency kit and bug out bag should have a survival blanket. Any good survivalist and prepper will tell you that.