How To Use Drug Test Kits: A Guide To Proper Health
There are scenarios where a drug test kit is needed, especially when you are keeping a close eye on a loved one who's suddenly acting strange. If you're planning to conduct a drug test, it's important to learn how to conduct it properly so that you will be provided accurate results. In this article, I will teach you how to use drug test kits, when's the best time to use it, and the common substances found in drug tests.
Reasons On Why You Should Use a Drug Test Kit
There are different reasons why we use a drug test kit. This can come in different situations and scenarios that play differently in each of our lives. Some of the most common reasons why we use a drug test kit is:
- To test someone you know - Sometimes we may need to know how to use drug test kits when we try to check our family and friends for any harmful substances. This is very helpful for parents. Some parents are worried about their teenage kids hanging around with the wrong people. It is always in our best interest to be concerned, especially for the people we care for the most.
- To test it on yourself - You may find the need to test the kit on yourself. Sometimes the need to test yourself before your company officially tests you may come in handy. By using a drug test kit on yourself, you will know your results beforehand.
- To help someone with a history of substance abuse - There are a lot of individuals who are suffering from harmful substance abuse that need help and extra attention. You can check these people with a drug test kit to see the progress of these individuals on their way to recovery. A drug test for these individuals can prove to be useful if you have tangible data on their progress.
- To know if you were drugged - harmful substances come in different forms: solid, liquid, or gas. And we may be exposed to these drugs without our knowledge. A drug test kit becomes useful to us in identifying the type of drug we have been exposed to. This way, we know how to address it immediately. A drug test kit could also be used on a person you feel has been drugged without their knowledge.
The Common Drugs Checked During the Test
There are a lot of drugs out there that are easily available and can be harmful to our health. These drugs are prone to abuse and can be dangerous in the long run. That is why it is crucial to check for these drugs when needed. Knowing how to use a drug test kit to perform this procedure and what substances to check is key to identifying the problem.
- Methamphetamine - This is a potent drug that stimulates the central nervous system and is also the most popular drug to abuse. It comes laced in other drugs such as ecstasy and molly. This is often referred to in the streets as the poor man's cocaine. The effects include a boost in confidence and euphoria. Methamphetamine is very addictive and destroys the body over time.
- THC - Tetrahydrocannabinol is a substance that is taken from the cannabis plant. It's street name marijuana is more popular with teenagers. It is the least expensive of all substances and is easily attainable in the streets.
- Opiates - Opioids are substances used for moderate to severe pain relief. Morphine and codeine are examples of opioids. Opioids can also be seen in our pharmacies, and these are labeled prescription drugs. It is prone to abuse because of its availability and its quick effects. Because it is a regulated drug in the market, people tend to look past its addictive effects since it was prescribed to them by a doctor.
How To Use Drug Test Kits
Testing comes in simple and precise steps. Performing the drug test must include the following: a subject, a urine sample, and a test card that comes with your kit. At this point, you want to be hygienic and to take necessary precautions for yourself. You can wear gloves and a mask to protect you from bacteria. You must be cautious and aware since you are handling a human byproduct.
Step 1 is Collection – The collection of urine is typically done with a clean plastic cup. Make sure the cup has no particles and debris that may interfere with the results.
Collection is done by urinating into the plastic cup half full. You must make sure you catch the urine mid-stream. Mid-stream urine means you allow a few seconds for the urine to flow before catching it with the cup.
Step 2 Cool Down – After securing the urine into the plastic cup, the sample is required to cool down at room temperature before starting the test. This is to ensure you get the best results out of the sample. Some suggest 24 hours is the proper amount of time to cool down your urine samples while others test samples 12 hours after it was collected.
Step 3 Open Up – Opening the drug test kit and removing the card from the package. Make sure you properly tear the packaging to avoid damaging the test card. The test card will come with a plastic cap on the bottom that will need to be removed to expose the test strips. You then dip the test strips into the urine sample for around 10-15 seconds, making sure only the strips are submerged.
Step 4 Results – To check the results of your test, simply lay the test card down on a flat surface after it has been submerged. You can also lay it down in a paper towel or cloth to avoid contamination. Indicators will light up a red or green color depending on your test kit. Make sure that you keep a close eye on the result within the first 5 to 10 min for an accurate reading.
Knowing how to use drug test kits can provide personal assurance and help check on someone else's sobriety. Getting the right results starts with knowing the right steps. After reading this article, I hope you learned when to use drug test kits, how to use it, and what to expect when using it.
October 10, 2020
by: Wilber Herron
Diabetes, or having abnormal levels of glucose and insulin in your body, can pose a dangerous health threat if not treated with the right precautions.